The Meandering Thoughts of Cheryl

This is about my life. My thoughts, my delusions, and my aspirations...

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Do you have a palmaris longus?

Yesterday my prof and I were discussing an upcoming surgery on a person who required one of their tendons (palmaris longus) to be taken out of their arm and used elsewhere in the body. As we were discussing it he showed me which tendon. I didn't have it! That's right some people do, some people don't (13% of the population). It's a vestigal nerve muscle. Quite interesting. They told me not to get any nerve or spinal cord damage. You see it's easy to just take the vestigal tendon and use it in another part of the body, but if you don't have it too bad. This tendon is the most graft tendon for the hand.

For a depiction of this look at this website:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~anatomy/wrist-hand/surface/surface3.html
http://www.rad.washington.edu/atlas/palmarislongus.html
So if you can see two nerves running to your hand then you have a palmaris longus! Congrats! If you don't you can just smile and say that you are more evolutionally advanced than your friends who have it. lol

1 Comments:

Blogger shiney teeth and me said...

more evolutionary advanced eh? i would call it "getting ahead of yourself" :-P lol

remember:

pinatas advocate violence against flambouyant animals

:-D

1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home