The Meandering Thoughts of Cheryl

This is about my life. My thoughts, my delusions, and my aspirations...

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, September 19, 2005

Neuro 500

Well today I must choose two professors for my lab rotation in the course Neuro 500. After talking with other students I have decided on these two: Dr.Kelvin Jones, and Dr.Monica Gorassini. Dr.Chan and I decided that it would be beneficial for me to spend the time in labs with professors who work with subjects, their techniques or objectives are a bit of what my Master's is on, and yet broaden my perspective on neuroscience. The two professors I chose are said to be very patient and kind.

Dr.Kelvin Jones is a very young professor. He works with Dr.Chan a lot. Through him I can learn a bit about computational neuroscience. It's a little intimidating since I'm weak in the areas of math and computer science, but it will teach me a lot. Dr.Jones conducts a computational analysis of the sensory motor system in health and disease. To quote from the U of A's description of his work, "He uses experimental methods to measure the elctrophysiological activity in nerves of human subjects while they perform eye-hand coordination activities. These electrical signals are analysed to determine how the brain uses sensory activity when learning new tasks. To generate a greater understanding of activity involved, mathematical models of the nervous system and the ion channels responsible for electrophysiological activity are developed and simulated on computers." I will be in his lab for 2 months.

The other professor I chose, works just down the hall. She uses our transcranial magnetic stimulator (TMS) machine all the time. Hopefully I can become more efficient at it. She studies the recovery of motor function following spinal cord injury. She uses treadmill therapy as a form of rehabilitation training. It produces amazing results; 80% success rate, whereas convential techniques offer a 10% success rate. Her main goal is to "optimise general motor recovery following spinal cord injuries." I will also spend 2 months in her laboratory.

Well my semester has certainly begun. I'm studying with a friend this afternoon for our Cellular Neuroscience course. So far so good. I can tell things will pick up even more very shortly. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home