The Meandering Thoughts of Cheryl

This is about my life. My thoughts, my delusions, and my aspirations...

Name:
Location: Canada

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Chris Who?

Oh this is a perfect Cheryl story...
Yesterday I got a message from Chris, a BC friend, saying that he was in town until Friday. I called him back and we agreed to meet at his hotel and from there go for a late supper. I was so proud of myself. I took the LRT and found the hotel with 10 mins to spare! The hotel was upscale. I asked the bell hops how to call Chris and they pointed me to a telephone. An operator then asked me who I was calling. I said "Chris" and gave her the room number. She replied that Chris had left at 10:30am that day and was no longer a guest at the hotel. I exclaimed that it wasn't possible because Chris told me to meet him tonight and he just checked in this morning. She asked for his last name. I said "Ju." I was a bit fuzzy on his last name. Umm She asked, "Do you mean Chris Lu?"
"Yes, him." The operator continued to say that he had checked out.

So my friend wasn't there? Umm I decided to go across the street to use the Telus payphone. Ironically, as you'll see, Chris works for Telus. I forgot that in Edmonton to make a local call on a payphone it's not $0.25, but $0.35. Yeah in the richest province in Canada you get ripped off at the payphones. In addition, you don't get change back if you put too much change in. So I luckily found $0.40 among my pennies (yeah no nickel), put it into the payphone and dialed my phone card number. (Asdide: I was lucky I had remembered to bring Chris' cell number and my long distance phone card). The number wasn't dialed. The payphone ate my money. I thought it possibly was my fault because the payphone said to dial the number before inserting coins. I searched for another $0.40. My last coins other then pennies... This time I dialed the number and then inserted the coins. The payphone again ate my money. Urg... I looked around and there were no stores around to get change. I decided to head back to the hotel and try the front desk. I ask the gentleman at the front desk to see if my friend was still there. I explained what the operator had said. They agreed that he had checked out that morning. I told them that he had asked for me to meet him there at 7:30pm and that he was probably in someone's else room. I explained that he was with the company Telus. They asked if I knew his friend's names and alas I did not. I asked if I could sit in the lounge and wait. I think they thought I was weird. I decided to wait because Chris knows how punctual I am, and sometime he would get hungry and go for supper. While waiting I saw a guy who had tatoos all over his body. His old head was covered. Then I saw a dunken homelessman try to come into the hotel. At 8:05pm Chris sauntered down. I told him what happened and joked how he should talk to the front desk because he had checked in this morning not checked out liek they had told me. Chris then asked me what I said to the operator. I told him I had asked for Chris Lu. He said, "That's not my name!" Whoops! I had a friend in high school whose name was Chris Lau. I must have mixed their last names up! lol. The chances of someone with a similar name checking out that day was slim. Just my luck. lol.

Chris, two of his work colleagues, and I then went to unique, wonderful Indian restaurant. The decor was exquisite and I really enjoyed the food! I was glad that I didn't give up ealrier in the evening.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bob Tyndall said...

Hello Cheryl

I was surfing blogs and found yours. I am down in Coronach Saskatchewan. I hope you had a great evening after all that. My brothers are in Calgary and my kids are in Vancouver.
Have a wonderful day

Bob Tyndall

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home