The Meandering Thoughts of Cheryl

This is about my life. My thoughts, my delusions, and my aspirations...

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, September 15, 2005

My Life With Doctors...

I moved to Edmonton on August 18th and since then have tried to settle in. I have been sick ever since the day I arrived. I had pain in right ear when my plane was landing in Calgary. I'm drousy, have a cough and still have the problem with my right ear. So after a month of dealing with this I decided to see one of the university doctors. I arrived at the clinic at 8am and there was a huge line-up. I had class to go to at 9:30am and so I asked the receptionist if I would be ok. She said I would be fine. After waiting and waiting the doctor saw me at 9:10am. She looked at my ears, check my lungs, and blood pressure. I had some water in my middle ear, but not much, and it wasn't infected. She said that my dry cough may be related to my ear problem. She said that I wake up in the middle of the night because lying down causes a change in pressure. She also said that living in an apartment building, and having to go 12 floors up on the elevator will also cause changes in pressure and hurt my ear. So after not going to the doctor in so many years, guess what she tells me? Take tylenol! lol. She said there was nothing she could do unless I get a fever. What a surprise! She also said that chewing gum may help. The doctor said it wasn't uncommon to have a cough for a couple of months. Well that was fun. I raced to my class and arrived just in time.

It's been advantageous working for a doctor. I told Dr.Chan how the appointment went and he was a bit surprised. He said that he found it weird that I was still "sick" and feeling ok. He wrote me a prescription. I'll start it today and will be on it for 2 weeks. Yeah!


I'm working with ALS (Lou Gerhig) patients. Yesterday was an eye-opener. I met a 35 year old woman who is diagnosed with ALS. She probably has less than 3 years left. Sad. I met an older gentleman who cried because he was so depressed. It's a dreadful disease.

Last week I was unsure why I was really here. I didn't have as much confidence in myself as I know I should. I had a relaxing weekend and realised this is what I wnat to do. I knew it was going to be hard work.

My roommate is great! Her name is Lily. Please e-mail me your numebr and address. I'll give you a call.

Hope everythign is going well for you.
Cheers,
Cheryl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home