The Meandering Thoughts of Cheryl

This is about my life. My thoughts, my delusions, and my aspirations...

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, August 12, 2005

Perfect Timing

Well yesterday my sister and I couldn't be luckier with our timing. Here are my stories of the night...dun dun dun

We dropped her husband off to work and headed down to Midas ("that's the Midas touch"-Can't you just hear that jingle?) for an oil and muffler change. We weren't sure how long it would take. We thought an hour. So we sat down and started reading the newspaper. I was glad to catch-up on some world news. Across the street was the fast-food restaurant Arby's. Heather and I were thinking about eating there while waiting. Before we had a chance we saw a woman (in the Arby's parking lot) get out of her car and sit beside her rear tire. The car was smoking a bit and peopel rushed over to see her. She called 911 and was talking to the operator as she paced around the parking lot. She seemed ok. Arby's staff gave her a cup of water. A few minutes later a huge police officer (I mean built!) arrived on the scene with no lights flashing. He talked to the woman and then went over to the car to get her purse out of the front seat. I guess he wasn't very concerned with the car. He then called back-up. The fire truck came next, then the EMS (sort of an ambulance), then a real ambulance and more police officers. It appeared to be overkill. the woman now was sitting down. The ambulance took out a stretcher and put her into the ambulance. The ambulance didn't move for another 5 minutes or so. No real emergency. We (us and the Midas employeses) were all commenting about the crazy situation. We had a discussion about ambulances... The consensus was that if you called 911 even if you were ok you still would have to go into the ambulance. I still don't know if that's true. It just seemed weird that the woman was walking around before, but later she was placed on a stretcher. Then the consenus was that once you were rtansported to the hospital by the ambulance you would have to foot the bill. I thought our health coverage covered that. maybe not. Anyway my sister's car was ready to go just as the ambulance pulled out. Good timing #1 (I had free entertainment).

We then did some errands. Heather, being a teacher, went scoping out the back-to-school sales. Whoo-hoo! We decided o grab a quick meal at Wendy's down the street. I told Heather to take her jacket and umbrella because the dark clouds were rolling into the city. We were one step front the restaurant's door when a gust of wind came up and I said "Yep the rain is coming." We took our final step (which was under the door hanging) and it poured! Buckets of rain! We didn't get one drop on us! Good timing #2 However, it was bad timing for one gentleman. He was sitting in a convertible outside the restaurant in traffic. He saw everyone in the restaurant watching him and he smiled. He was laughing, but then as the rain poured his laughter turned to anger. Poor guy.

We were to meet Agnus and Pete (relatives of Devin) at 6:30pm. Heather had no clue where she was going and I didn't either. It was already 6:10pm. Good timing #3. We arrived at 6:28pm! Amazing!

We stayed at Agnus and Pete's for 5 hours. We could've talked way into the night, but Leonard (Heather's husband) had to be picked up from work at midnight. We didn't want to leave, but finally we left with little time to pick him up on time. The good driver that my sister is we got there with 2 minutes to spare. Good timing #4.

Yes it certainly was another lucky day for the two of us!

1 Comments:

Blogger shiney teeth and me said...

WHAT??? i never had to go to the hospital and use the ambulance for 911---they came, but i didnt have to come in...although my accident might have been more of a reason to ride than the lady with the broken down car-- ... wierd

plus, i didnt have to pay for anything

... that sucks though

but YAY FOR AWESOME TIMING!!!

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home