The Meandering Thoughts of Cheryl

This is about my life. My thoughts, my delusions, and my aspirations...

Name:
Location: Canada

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Science World and Beyond...

On Saturday I was awaken by my alarm clock at 5am. Yep my last free day in BC. I had lots to do so I had to get up early. I packed until 11:30am. My work supervisor (Sarah) then kindly picked both me and my heavy boxes up. We went to Langley and dropped the boxes off at the Greyhound Station. I was pretty impressed with the service!

Sarah and I then rode to Vancouver to meet up with Kimberly and her friend. We were going to Science World for the afternoon. Science World is one of the main BC attractions. It is hard to miss, being a huge globe. I almost wasn't going to go because it's apparently geared towards kids. But hey, I'm a kid at heart.

The place is enormous! Three floors full of scientific activity stations. It was unreal. We went to the IMAX-I mean OMNIMAX. Yes there's a difference. The screen in the Omimax is the whole ceiling. The chairs tilt so you can see all of it. We watched a film called "The Nile." It was extraordinary. The film visited the various sites along the Nile-from Ethiopia to Sudan, to Egypt. It explained traditions and myths of the Nile, the danger of the powerful river, and its importance.

Next we headed downstairs and watched an air show. Yes the show was all about air. Very interesting. I discovered that I'm full of hot air. hehehe... For the rest of the day we ran from exhibit to exhibit. I made a sun dial and a rocket ship! Finally we watched a movie on the lives of famous physicists (Galieo, Newton, Einstein, Hawkings). Very entertaining. I learned that historians believe that Newton was gay, and that most of them had social issues. The most surprising information was that Stephen Hawkings suffers from ALS or Lou Gerhig's disease. This is what I will concentrate my Master's on. It was surprising because he was diagnosed with this motor neuron disorder when he was only 21! Usually it affects 40-60 year olds. Also once diagnosed one seldom lives past 5 years. Stephen Hawkings was among the 5% who lived a longer life. Funny how he only began to become motivated to work once he knew about his disorder. He finally realised he wanted to do more with his life. A very interesting man indeed.

1 Comments:

Blogger shiney teeth and me said...

wow--i myself learned something just reading your blog :-)

YAY for an awesome time

i call it "edutainment"

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home