The Meandering Thoughts of Cheryl

This is about my life. My thoughts, my delusions, and my aspirations...

Name:
Location: Canada

Sunday, July 03, 2005

An Unforgettable 24th Birthday!!

I began my 24th birthday with the Live 8 concert (on TV). It was truly remarkable. It was wonderful to see talented musicians playing for a great cause. Melissa and I were planning on going back to Granville Island, but sadly she didn't feel well.

Friends of mine in Vancouver asked if I wanted to go for a hike and I happily agreed. We drove up Mount Seymour and met up with some of their friends. The "hike" was 15 minutes long. No comparison to my hike in New Hampshire. lol As we were going up the trail a black bear stumbled upon our path. It was far enough away that we were safe, but close enough that we knew what it was. Amazing animal. I took some pictures of course. :) For a moment I was scared because we were sort of cornering the bear. We were walking towards the bear (from the trail below) while some hikers were descending towards it. We yelled for them to stop and wait. They didn't hear us at first and kept on walking. Thankfully they finally stopped and we all admired the bear from a safe distance.

At the top of the trail was a beautiful, placid lake. It was so calming. Many people took a dive into the cold water. I sat back and laughed at the shivering idiots. lol At the end of the hike our new friends said "happy b-day" to me and offered me a granola bar as a present. How thoughtful! :) They were all sweet.

Following the hike I made phone calls so everyone could meet for supper at an Italian restaurant. We weren't sure where. We went onto the internet and picked the first one in Yaletown. I didn't know this, but Yaletown is pretty posh. Hence the restaurant was posh. I laughed when we sat down. There I was with my bookbag. When I mean posh...I mean $300 wines. If the stem of my spoon touched my plate a waiter would come over and adjust it. Yep posh! Thankfully, we all ordered tap water and a $20 meal. Not bad. The mood wasn't as laid back as I would have liked though.

Many people left as we strolled over to a pub called the Atlantic Trap & Gill. I always thought it was just a seafood restaurant, but it's actually a pub. Not just any pub-an Atlantic pub! That's right! I was home! There was a Newfie singing Maritime music. We sat on couches in the corner and downed some good old Keith's beer. Flags from all the Atlantic provinces were hung around the room. The pub was small, but had a relaxing, friendly feel. The waitress didn't ask us to pay right away. I forgot about that. People trust one another in a place like that. Melissa courageously sat with some older guys and motioned for me to join them. We sat in the front watching the Newfie do his thing. The guys were hilarious. They were trashed. One of them asked to take a picture of us with our camera. No harm. He then said on the count of 3 to lift our shirts. Yeah right buddy. lol We took it in stride and told him maybe in his dreams. Melissa told the singer that it was my birthday. In the last music set he sang the b-day song to me as I stood up and waived and drank Keith's in a toast to everyone. For the rest of the night I was the "birthday girl." I was wished "happy b-day" in the bathroom and even at the bus stop while waiting to go home. It was a fun-filled day-one I will not soon forget. I will definitely go back to the pub. I discovered that there is even one located in Edmonton. Yeah! I know where I'll be Saturday nights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home